Braden suffered a life threatening injury and the loss of his right hand after Necrotizing fasciitis (commonly known as flesh-eating bacteria) was traumatically inserted into his system.
The most common way of getting necrotizing fasciitis is when the bacteria enter the body through a break in the skin, like a cut, scrape, burn, insect bite, or puncture wound.
When a thorn pricked 32-year-old Braden Leonard’s hand last month, he did not consider the unassuming wound would soon become life threatening.
On June 5 the Newport resident and 9-year veteran of the Johnston Fire Department fell on the thorn while biking in Newport's Ballard Park.
When the symptoms worsened the next morning, he turned to his Facebook friends for help. He described “massive inflammation” and other symptoms such as “fever, generalized weakness and fatigue.”